As the Youth and Family Minister I get the opportunity to preach as needed, and am part of a preaching rotation team at our congregation’s care ministries facility. I am looking at potentially preaching April Fool’s Day, here is my working outline. Actually, it is a sermon from a series I would like to do titled “Born Again Identity.”
I’d appreciate any feedback!
“Born Again Identity” 1::Fools for Christ1 Cor 4:9-12
We are part of a much bigger story; a story that isn’t just confined the comfortable and cozy four walls of our beloved church building. Our story is one that, if Jesus is right, we along with this story will be drug through the mud, we will be made to look foolish. Is it worth it? YES! Not just because of the hope of heaven, but because we believe that in Jesus heaven and earth and collide, and we help bring this reality to light daily!
1. What does it mean to be born again?
- Second chances/Forgivness
- God’s poetry (Eph 2:10)
- New perspective (outlook)
- Everyday, everywhere missionaries
- New Master
- From self to Jesus
- We are story tellers (traders), offering a better story
- Trading in the American Dream for the Mission of Christ
- Helping to bring about the reality of our new creation in the world
2. We are people OF mission
- The church is the mission of God in the world (Luke 4)
- There is no plan B
3. The mission is born out of the cross
- Rescue, redemption, recreation
- We are a born again people (John 3)
4. Our allegiances have shifted
- We are slaves to the King’s wishes and wants (Matthew 6; Matthew 10)
- We become servants to all
5. What we know affects who we know
- Jeremiah 22:15b-16, “He did what was right and just, so all went well with him. 16 He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?” declares the LORD.”
- Did you catch it? To defend the cause of the poor and needy! Knowing the Lord is more than knowledge, more than words — it has to spill out into action and love!
- We are willing to trade in comfort, security, wealth for the mission of Christ
6. Fools: God’s most valuable players? (1 Cor 4)
- A death march is better than a comfortable life (take up your cross) Mk. 9
- The gospel doesn’t make sense
- In order to go up you have to go down (Jn 13; Phil 2:5-8)
- God doesn’t want the powerful & victorious, but the weak and the overlooked- 4.11
- Persecuted, mistreated and homeless, sign me up
- Rewards aren’t just for the bookshelf!
- A kingdom of love (1 Cor 4:12)
- Scum of the world for the good of the world